Old August 2nd 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Cassie

Default how do you resize photos

Thanks again Roy,
I'll have a look at Picassa, this is so confusing especially when one is not
very good at photography. I really just want to help my friend who has so
many of her grandchildren's photos sent to her but when I opened them up
they filled the entire screen and they print only print out part of the huge
picture. I'll have to do some reading. I have Arcsoft software too so maybe
that would change the size.
Cassie.
"Roy G" wrote in message
"Cassie" wrote in message
Thanks Roy, I had a look at the link you posted, there is a lot of
reading but looks as though it may help I hope.
Many thanks,
Cassie.
"Roy G" wrote in message
news
"Cassie" wrote in message

Have a look at www.scantips.com Pixels and things are well explained
there, or try reading the Help Files in one of your Photo Programs.

This is easy, but writing a quick set of instructions for a photo
program I am not familiar with, would be rather difficult.

Roy G

Hi again.

I should add that I have just found a Canon provided program on my
machine, called Arc Soft Photo Studio 5.5. and also Irfanview. Irfanview
is more of a picture viewer than an editing program.

I have looked at both of those and there is no way of resizing without
adding or removing pixels. That is a bad thing to do, because it will
cause damage to the picture which will almost certainly have had its
pixels changed already.

What you need to do is change how closely packed the pixels are. If you
want the picture to print smaller then you want to pack the pixels closer
together, but you do not want to add or remove pixels.

This is done by changing the Pixel per Inch (PPI) figures. That can be
done very easily in real Digital Photo Editing Programs like Photoshop
Elements, but I don't know about Photo Shop De Lux or whatever your
program is.

There is a Free Editing Program called Picassa which can be downloaded,
but again I have no experience of it..

It is possible that the Printer will have a setting somewhere to "Scale"
the image, or to set the Final Print Size, and the printer driver will do
this alteration for you without inventing or losing pixels.

By the way your image is actually a 2.2 Mb picture (1188 x 1848 =
2,195424). It is only 576 Kb because of compression being applied when it
is closed to its saved size. It should still print well at 6 inches x 4
inches.

On these groups a 2.2Mb image is considered small, if not very small. A 2
Mega Pixel Camera will produce a 6Mb image, a10 Mp Camera will produce a
30 Mb Image.

Best of luck,

Roy G