Old September 30th 19, 04:12 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
. Arlen Holder

Default What is a decent freeware image watermarking GUI on Windows?

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019 14:31:21 +0100, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Who's this "our" - who are "we" here?

Hi JP Gilliver,

Usenet is a potluck where everyone who posts brings something of value to
share, just as everyone who reads learns something of value from them.

Hence, I consider that a question with an obvious answer.
o If you attend a Usenet potluck, where people share items of value
o The "we" is everyone who participates in the Usenet potluck

I test software all the time & write tutorials all the time
o I often use the royal "we" to collectively mean everyone on this ng.

Together, we are more knowledgeable than we are sitting at home, alone.

o Where the main question is which do you prefer, & why you prefer it?

To avoid specification creep: what do you mean by/want from
watermarking?

Actually, I don't have specific needs other than watermarking.
o I'm fleshing out my software hierarchy - where watermarking is missing

That's why I asked for people with EXPERIENCE why they like it.
o And what they use.

I presume you mean something more than putting "© 2019
Arlen Holder" in the corner, which most image-handling software can do.

There's a reason I asked specifically for people with experience.
o I want them to share what it is that they do with watermarking.

I use IrfanView, for both adding in-image text (it has two ways), and
adding things to the various metadata fields (and Exifer for the ones
Irfan misses, but I haven't used it for ages).

Long ago I edited EXIF tags (e.g., to remove geolocation data).
o But that's a completely different topic, I think.

I just now snapped this exif editing screenshot for you...
a. Using AnalogExif on Windows:
https://i.postimg.cc/tJFYd5cm/exif02.jpg
b. Using ExifToolGui on Windows:
https://i.postimg.cc/JnJgRDvW/exif03.jpg

Here's a list of EXIF editors I compiled just yesterday for everyone:
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/H4nZD8_XOS0/HhiTDi1vAgAJ
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.mobile.ipad/H4nZD8_XOS0/h_Hcf_ZyAgAJ

I just noticed that, even after all that effort, I missed "exifer"
o Hence I thank you for bringing it up as another EXIF-editing tool

Together, we are more capable than we are sitting at home, alone.

But I'm guessing you want
something different, such as steganography, or the almost-invisible
"leaf" symbols that Ancestry use.

There's a good reason I asked for experienced users' input...

I want what I had asked for which is for experienced users' suggestion
o Of what _they_ like, and of why they like the watermarker they use.

Your suggestion of an almost-invisible symbol is useful.
o We just need to determine a good watermarker that inserts that symbol.

Together, we are more powerful than we are sitting at home, alone.