Old June 24th 13, 05:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Dudley Hanks[_4_]

Default Landscape

"RichA" wrote in message
On Sunday, June 23, 2013 10:21:44 PM UTC-4, Dudley Hanks wrote:
Ok, now that I've got that communications glitch straightened out, I think

was able to put together the image I was shooting for.

http://www.blind-apertures.ca/pics/Landscape.jpg

It's a quasiHDR image of the river valley, here in Edmonton.

Five shots, ranging from -2 to +2 stops and combined using Elements 11.

If you feel like commenting, that'd be great. (I'll try to curb my
tendency

to ask excessive questions.)

Take Care,

Dudley

What I would fix:
1. The chromatic aberration at the edge of the field.
2. The crooked horizon.
3. The neon-green grass.
4. I'd probably go the opposite way on the contrast. Rather than HDR, I'd
push the
contrast to add some starkness to the image.

Thanks, Rich, really glad you replied.

I'll have to leave the chromatic aberration for the time being, as it's
beyond my current abilities... but, that's something that's always lurking
in the back of my mind.

the neon grass, it sounds like I pushed the mid-tones a bit too far, so
I'll try backing that off a bit and try for a more neutral colour.

Your last point actually tells me the most, in that I had pushed the
contrast of each of the original images about 20 points on the contrast
slider in Camera RAW. It's interesting that the merge seems to have killed
that bump...

The stark look is what I was shooting for, hence the weeds in the
foreground, etc...

I had also added a bit of sharpening with the aim of getting a contrasty,
grainy look.

Once again, thanks for the reply. I'm going to have to ponder this for a
while.

Take Care,
Dudley