Old August 28th 05, 11:39 PM
Cardamon Dave

Several respondents have said there's no convenient way to carry a
tripod or monopod on bicycle or while walking in the woods. I know of a
few options:

1) The plastic-and-velcro Ultrapod, which I usually see in Eddie Bauer
outlet stores. It's simple enough of a contraption, and the velcro
strap could be wrapped around a tree branch or the handlebars of a
parked bicycle for stability. $13 at retail.

2) I frequently tote a 20-or-so year-old Kalimar collapsible tripod
that extends to somewhere around 48 inches. It collapses to around 12.
Is it the perfect solution? No, it has a tendency to wobble when a
heavier camera (Nikon FM2a) is placed upon it. But it works with most
of my smaller cameras, and takes next to no room at all. $20 at a flea
market or on &Bay.

3) Hakuba marketed a compact monopod that has two short (~8 inch) legs
near the ball head, enabling it to serve as either a monopod or a
tabletop tripod. Around $30 when I bought it in 1999.

Bottom line? There are inexpensive, portable alternatives to IS.

-Cardamon Dave