Old October 12th 03, 06:16 AM
zeitgeist

Default Getting chidren to smile

I take individual photographs of children at sporting events. A problem I
have (especially with 5 - 8 year olds) is getting them to smile. Are there
any suggestions / tips anyone could offer?

that age group can be really easy. Call them Mr President, Mr Astronaught.
Mr Fireman, kids of that age eat that up, especially boys.

Or just call them the wrong name, changing it each time, Jim, stand right
there, (ah, my name's Joe) ok Jeremy, put one hand in your pocket, (no my
name's Joe) fine Jason, turn your head this way. Girls seem to fall for
being called a boys name.

kids just can't help smiling.

for a hard ass, of almost any age, I'll pause, and with the pose set and
camera ready, I'll look at them, and deadpan, almost seriously, "well,
don't look so mean and nasty" and 99 out of a hundred they will give you a
brilliant smile, I mean it works on gang bangers, all but the most
professional poker faces. Its something genetic to disarm a potential or
unintended threat.