Old January 18th 18, 06:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Your computer will be slllowwwwing dooowwwnnnnnn....

In article , Mayayana
wrote:

Speak for yourself. AMD here. I wouldn't touch
Intel with a 10-foot anti-static wrist strap.

Not susceptible to
Meltdown and Spectre is not a critical issue, so long
as I don't enable script in the browser while visiting
attack sites.

if only were it that simple.

microsoft just released new patches for (some) amd systems.

maybe you should go tell them they shouldn't have bothered.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...-in-quest-to-g
et-meltdown-and-spectre-patched/
The good news: Shortly after its initial release, Microsoft suspended
shipping its Spectre and Meltdown Windows patches to owners of AMD
systems after some users found that it left their systems unbootable.
Microsoft partially lifted the restriction last week, sending the
update to newer AMD systems but still leaving the oldest machines
unpatched.

Even then, it's not clear that Spectre
can access any data outside the same process.

it can. that's the whole point.

a process already can access its own data. otherwise it wouldn't work
particularly well.

So
the risk? Apparently using an older version of Firefox
and entering credit card info into one window while
visiting a malware site in another.

it's quite a bit more than that.