Old January 26th 04, 01:21 PM
Phil Glaser

Default Adjust B&W paper development time when using Uniroller?

What kind of enlarger are you using. If its not a color head type
what filter are you using? Note that the speed of variable contrast
paper without a filter is twice what it is with the filter. If you are
using a color head and still get overly short times try adding some
yellow to get a neutral density effect.

I am using a Besseler 23C II with a non-color head.

The borders are nice and white, so no fogging.

Listen, I am sorry to have stirred this all up (no pun intended)
because I now realize that it was indeed an exposure problem. The shot
was a picture of a scene that I had contrtived with a luminance range
adequate to tell whether my _film_ developing time was correct (i.e.,
highlights not blocked, etc.). In the course of placing the shaddows
in zone II, I deliberately "underexposed" (as far as my light meter is
concerned) by three stops, but neglected to realize that my highlights
(which were seven stops away from the shaddows according to the light
meter) were now _also_ underexposed by three stops. So my negative was
just TOO THIN.

Moreover, I was printing on 5x7 paper. I don't know by what factor
that should reduce print exposure time, but it must reduce it
somewhat. I had been doing 8x10 for a while and neglected to take that
change into consideration.

I think everything is ok with my equipment, paper, and developer. It
is just my inexperience in evaluating negatives (and calculating
correct negative exposure) that led me astray here.

Thanks!

--Phil