Old August 19th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default film stuck in dead Yashica T4

wrote
I have a Yashica T4 (non "super") that has gone completely dead
...it now contains a half-exposed roll of film ...
the film is just stuck.

I have gotten the film out when there were only a few frames on the
take up roller [TUR]. The TUR is rubber and the film sticks
by friction.

I found if I fed film _into_ the TUR then the film would loosen
it's wrap and I could pull some out - more than I fed in. Had
to do it several times.

If there is 1/2 a roll in there I don't know that this technique
will work - the object is to get the first wrap on the TUR to go
loose.

If it were mine [IIWM?] I might see if I could take the sides or
bottom off the camera leaving the film compartment light-tight.
If lucky one could get at the clutch or pawl and release the
TUR so the film can be pulled out. I have no idea that this
will work or could work...

You might send a note with the camera to the repair service -
I am sure this isn't the only camera they have gotten with
half a roll of film stuck in it - they may be able to
save the film.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Darkroom Automation