Old July 16th 04, 07:04 PM
David Dyer-Bennet

Default perspective w/ 35mm lenses?

ospam (PrincePete01) writes:

sorry if the answer to this is obvious. i've looked high and low and haven't
been able to get an answer. suppose my digital slr has a 1.5x multiplication
factor when using 35mm lenses. so a 50mm normal lens for 35mm film, will have
the coverage of a 75mm lens when used on my digital slr. but what about the
perspective?

The perspective is controlled by the distance between camera and
subject. The focal length does not influence the perspective in any
way, shape, or form.

You can see this in those sequences of photos often printed on
mats displayed on camera-store counters -- a sequence of photos taken
from the same location with each of the lenses in some manufacturers
lineup. Each photo looks like it was just cropped out of the center
of the previous photo (if the ordering is wideangle to telephoto, as
it usually is).