Old December 1st 05, 06:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default Crop factor and lens resolution

Pixel count and resolution are very low on the list of things that are going
to make your pictures better. You're falling into the marketing trap.

I agree. Good advice. Some of the other things you need to look at a
camera speed: speed to turn on, speed to wake up from sleep, shutter lag
time, frames per second, buffer size when writing raw, write speed to
empty buffer, autofocus precision and speed.

Technical stuff like this allows you to pick a model from your chosen
"brand". Accepting that this "Erick" is looking to buy "the best" from
scratch (maybe he just woke up yesterday and decided to become a bird
photographer while in the shower), one is better advised to look at
core user-interface of the camera and not to distract yourself with
frivolous feature cross tables and the like. As Mr. Nixon says: don't
fall into the "marketing trap".

Everyone must, ultimately, answer the question: "Can I _live_ with
Nikon or Canon or Minolta or whatever, unit in hand, warts and all?" A
test -- maybe the only test -- is to this is to go to a camera store
and play. How much can you figure out about the camera on your own,
without the help of a manual?