Old May 6th 04, 05:34 PM
RolandRB

Default swing lens cameras and focussing distance

(Bob Monaghan) wrote in message ...
the evidence that the horizon 202 is focused at 7 meters is very simple;
it is virtually identical to the noblex 135 series in format/coverage,

That tells you nothing about the distance it is focussed to. It has
the same format, yes, and it might have the same coverage, but there
is nothing to stop one manufacturer choosing one focal distance and
another manufacturer choosing a different focal distance.

which we know per mfger's specs is focused at 7.5 meters. If you compare
the noblex 135 DOF for various f/stops against matching horizon 202 DOF,
you get nearly identical values - if anything, the horizon is slightly
closer, meaning its focusing point is less than 7.5m at same stops etc.

Then show me your calculations as I have shown you mine. Let's see the
maths. I have predicted the depth of field list from my values for
focal distance and CoC size for both the Noblex 135U and the Horizon
202 and have virtually proved that I am correct. Let me see your
calculations and your assumptions that predict the published depth of
field values for the Horizon 202.

so if the noblex 135 is focused at 7.5m, the horizon 202 has to be focused
at about 7.5m as well, given similar DOF values, lenses, and film formats.

Let's see the maths.

Again, you can't use the fixed lens DOF calculator with the fixed 28mm
lens and apply it to the swing lens case with a different film format and
much wider coverage on the larger film format etc., even if you do modify

So the fact that the lens swings or the camera has a wider film
distance then the laws of physics no longer apply? I'm all eyes and
ears. Tell me about this new physics.

CoC. That's why your answer for fixed 28mm lens doesn't match case of
noblex 135, which has similar specs, swinging lens, and format and
coverage. It is just a happy coincidence (or more russian copying?) that
the horizon 202 matches the Noblex 135 so closely...

Not close enough. If it helps, then the origins of the Horizon 202 was
military use. The original cameras were made for the military so that
their mathematicians and statisticians could work out the
effectiveness of munitions based on the holes they made in the ground,
as photographed by a 360 degree camera. Far distance damage would be
clearer if the lens were focussed at infinity.

in short, the horizon 202 is nearly identical to the Noblex 135 in DOF vs.
f/stop charts, format, swing lens type, etc., so it must be focused at the
same point, viz., 7.5 meters or so, not infinity.

bobm

I have posted my calculations here. There is no point my repeating it
for your benefit unless you request it. I now look forward to your
maths that can match the depth of field values for these two cameras,
at least get as close as I got, with your plugged in values,
assumptions and calculations. I won't hold my breath.