Old October 15th 08, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,uk.rec.photo.misc,alt.photography,24hoursupport.helpdesk
clandestin_écureuil

Default editing photos and given the run-around

ray wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 18:27:57 +0100, john d hamilton wrote:

In an attempt to delete all my duplicate photos all over the place on my
pc and external hard drive, I opened Picasa and went through all the
folders listed deleting the endless copies.

I wanted to create a 'backup' but was told it would need 2 dvds or 12
cds. since i only have cds (each 700mb capacity) and not enough of them
i thought i would transfer to 'My Documents' on my pc and then go
through all the photos once again deleting a lot of the not so good
photos.

For some reason only about a third of the photos have transferred to my
documents from Picas, and when i went back to the Picasa library, all
the duplicate folders have *returned* to the library list !

Which is very annoying since there are years worth and literally
hundreds of folders and i'm not happy to have to do it all again.

Could anyone give advice to a novice on what best to do here please? My
ultimate goal is to delete duplicates and then edit the number down and
then transfer to cd or dvd for safekeeping. Keeping if possible the
original number bytes of each photograph so I can do some detailed
editing in the future. Many thanks for any advice.

My photo collection is rather modest compared to some, but I've never
found it necessary to resort to 'photo management software' - I keep mine
in order by using a directory structure to represent months and years.
There would, of course, be several other practical ways to organize your
photos. I keep all my photos - which I usually shoot in RAW - my wife does
jpegs on her older smaller P&S. I read the photos into my desktop and my
laptop compter and then make a backup copy on an external USB hard drive
(they are quite reasonable now) and then from time to time make a backup
to DVD - DVD writers are also pretty inexpensive now. Needless to say, I
have never lost a photo.

Wow!

I am starting to feel like a technology glutton. I am adding to my photo
archives at the rate of two to four gigabytes per week (I shoot stock and
fill a four gig card every few days). I can't survive without a raid
system. I have a terabyte drive in my primary computer, plus two terabyte
backup drives for photo images alone, and I am constantly "weeding" through
them to restore space. They are approaching eighty-percent capacity
already. I can't imagine using optical media as a backup medium, it would
be an impractical nightmare. I have had *many* cd's and dvd's fail over the
years, I would never rely on them. I have also had hard drives fail, about
one every two years, it is like driving a car, sooner or later you get a
flat. Having three copies of my photo database gives me some sort of
security. Thankfully hard drive prices are falling as my needs are growing.

Secret Squirrel

--

Ingrid Rose

clandestin.ecureuil(insert missing symbol here)gmail.com