Old February 21st 08, 11:44 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Geoffrey S. Mendelson

Default Developing C-41 APS film at home with black and white chemicals

I know this borders on the ridiculous. Someone advertised an APS camera
for sale on a local mailing list, and this brought back memories. I have
several APS cameras all bought for nearly nothing years ago and a lot of
C-41 APS film, all bought out of date and they sat at room temperature
for 3-4 years.

Nothing is special about them, they were cheap cameras and are not in
collectable condition. The film boxes are slightly shopworn, so they won't
end up in a museum or on a collector's shelf.

The idea of having a small camera I don't care if it survives being carried
around has a lot of attraction. Half of the year it is dry and dusty.
Sand and dust can easily kill a camera and so can other things, like being
sat on, etc. One of my kids sat on a bag I carry around and broke a
Palm Pilot. :-(

Therefore I ask if I can develop the film at home using black and white
chemicals. I assume I have to "crack" the casettes, will the film fit on
a 35mm reel? If not, can I adjust a Paterson reel to fit it?

Can the film itself be developed in Black and White chemicals, for example
Rodinal?

Any suggestions, pointers to information, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/