Old January 25th 04, 03:42 PM
Largformat

Default Wisner 4x5 (Was ..best outfit for starting out)

Subject: Wisner 4x5 (Was ..best outfit for
starting out)
From: juanito
Date: 1/25/2004 2:35 AM Mountain Standard Time
First off, many thanks to those who took the time to respond to my
original post earlier this month. Now, to build on what I have
learned so far in this ng and elsewhere.

I am primarily interested in shooting landscapes, a la Dykinga and
Muench. And of course, I want everything to be in focus, from
foreground objects at 10 feet to the mountains in the background.
Think of a yucca at White Sands!

I frequently backpack to my favorite sites, eg Coyote Buttes in
Northern AZ

I want to be able to output crisp images at least 20 x 20 and up to
the lightjet or epson 9600.

It seems, therefore, that I need something lighweight enough to haul
in on 5-10 mile hikes, and with sufficient movements to keep that
foreground yucca in crisp focus while the rippled dunes in the mid
distance and Black Top Mountain in the far distance are also in focus.

So, I am seriously considering a Wisner 4x5 , with a lens like the
240MM APO Symmar. (These cameras do not seem very plentiful used,
however.)

My questions a

1) What do you all think of this choice, and
2) Where should I search to find this camera used?

Thanks again,

Jack Arnold

Please go back and re-read Getting Started in Large Format that is on our web
site in the free articles section. It doesn't seem, from the questions you keep
asking, that you have thought much about that article. Given the 35mm lens you
use on your 35mm camera the choice of a 240 on a 4x5 does not make any sense.
Also, read Dykinga's book Large Format Narture Photography if you want to know
how he works.

Now, here are some questions for you

which Wisner model - there are several in the 4x5 format.

Why the 240mm lens - that is about the same as an 85 on a 35mm camera

For the work you are telling us you want to do the movements that are critical
for you are front and rear tilt. Do you know how and why these work?

Muench uses a 75mm on his 4x5 a great deal to force that near/far perspective.
This is about the same as a 24 on a 35mm camera.

IMHO you seem to be in a big hurry. I would suggest the following

take some time and relax

do the reading I am suggesting

come to the View Camera conference in April in Monterey, CA. (the trade show is
free and you do not even have to pre-register!!!). Here you can see new and
used cameras firsthand, play with them and ask questions.

Try and find a workshop where you can borrow a camera and get some first hand
experience.

Good Luck

steve simmons
www.viewcamera.com