Old February 21st 05, 09:15 PM

Hi,
I bought a Lexar Ultra II 4 GBytes compact flash
card, and put it in my Canon 1D Mark II camera.
It showed only 2 GB. I put it in my flash card reader
on my PC. It showed only 2 GBytes. I reformatted
it in the camera and it still showed only 2 GBytes.

I have several Lexar 40 and 80x 4 GByte cards and
have never had this problem.

Documentation with the card says nothing.
On the card it says:

[left half circle symbol] 3. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
[right half circle symbol] 2. - 2GB for fat 16 SLRs
[full circle symbol] 4. - 4GB for fat 32 SLRs

typo error: the full circle position is 1 not 4.

The 1D Mark II does fat 32 on the lexar cards.

Does anyone know how I can get beyond the 2 GB limit?

Roger

I figured it out.
There is a switch on the side of the card to select
the 3 positions noted above. This information should
have been shipped with the card. It took a while digging on
the sandisk web site to find this information.
I finally found a pdf describing the switch. A big
red flag is that if you change the switch position,
to use 4 GB (from the sandisk pdf):

"When you switch to position #1 all data on the card may
be lost. Even if the data is not deleted, it will not be viewable
in position #1. Please save data to a PC before
switching to position # 1 (4 GB)."

So what happens if in the field you accidentally switch from
position 1 to 2 or 3? Do you lose all your images?
Has anyone had a problem with this switch?

The flimsy feel of the switch to me means this is the
last one of these cards I buy.

Roger