Old December 27th 06, 06:01 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
a630 user

Default flash too bright with digital cameras?

I got a Canon A-630 this week, and seem to have the same problem.

Any pictures taken "close up in Auto mode" look overly bright. In fact,
people in those pictures look like those models in wax museums

louise wrote:
Chuck wrote:
A thought-- With my C8080, and an FL 36, it's obvious that the exposure
metering mode has a great deal to do with the success of flash exposure.
Do you know what metering mode is used? (such as spot or average)

"Steph" wrote in message
I frequently have to reduce the exposure setting by 1 or 1.5 stops,
especially with close-ups. The other alternative is to put a piece of

thin
white fabric over the flash to soften and diffuse it?

"louise" wrote in message
I have a Canon A520 and a Sony DSC H1. When shooting indoors, both

cameras
invariably shoot too bright - the flash is too much for the setting.

usually it's average - would you suggest trying spot?

Louise