Old December 30th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Kilpatrick

Default New photo printer

D.M. Procida wrote:
D.M. Procida wrote:

Is it worth trying to find something that uses pigment-based inks?

Definitely. For permanent colour, pigment is still the only way to
go.

Thanks. Now to find which printers use pigment inks.

Answer: none, unless you go for a very expensive model aimed at the
professional market - I think I'll have to give that a miss.

Not true. All the popular Lexmark office/photo printers use pigment
inks, albeit just a simple colour range like the basic Epson Ultrabrite
inks (also pigment). My Lexmark X5470 cost approx $100 and has swappable
'office type' and 'photo type' carts, prints rather well on many paper
types, and also happens to be a fully featured send/receive colour fax
machine with auto sheet feeder, a decent quality scanner (has replaced
my Epson 1660 for documents), an OCR machine, and a colour copier. It's
also Mac OSX compatible and the only annoying thing is that despite
having a good built-in modem, this is inaccessible to the computer so I
have to use a little USB modem to send faxes direct from the Mac. I
guess Lexmark disable sending from the computer to force you to print a
page then fax it...

David

--
Icon Publications Ltd, Maxwell Place, Maxwell Lane, Kelso TD5 7BB
Company Registered in England No 2122711. Registered Office 12 Exchange