Old June 10th 12, 06:27 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
David Dyer-Bennet

Default Did Canon decide to profit on bodies?

"Trevor" writes:

"Robert Coe" wrote in message
news
The drawback of the 5D2 is that its 9-point AF system is archaic for a
serious
camera.

Not so, mine is usually set to single point AF so I KNOW where it is going
to focus. A huge number of AF points simply gives it more opportunities to
pick the wrong one IMO. For example when I take a stage photo I want to
focus on the singer, not the mic stand as happens with multi point
autofocus. But I don't always shoot people, so even cameras with face detect
(like the OMD-5E) have their own limitations. Having shot half my life with
manual focus only, I just don't seem to place the same importance on dozens
of AF points as you do.

I shot the first, oh, about 30 years with manual focus. But even in
1994, my testing showed that AF got me good-enough focus much faster.
Since I tend to shoot people in the wild (i.e. not models posing for
me), that speed drastically increased the number of good photos I got.
(Yes, I know all the tricks of pre-focusing, hyperfocal distance, etc.;
this was usually in low light where there's really no substitute for
precise focus.)

It's only gotten better since then. Today, I can place a chosen focus
point on a musician's eyes and count on AF-C to keep the eye in focus as
his head bobs to the music.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ; http://dd-b.net/
Dragaera: http://dragaera.info