Old May 5th 05, 04:42 PM
Randy W. Sims

Alan Browne wrote:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/05/fa.../05photos.html

May 5, 2005
Stop Them Before They Shoot Again
By AMY HARMON

Too true. I was commenting on this to someone just the other day. I've
been taking lots of photos and then having trouble culling them down to
something reasonable. I thought it was just a newbie experience.

I try to take enough shots to cover my deficiency while I'm learning,
more so with the candids than with static scenes. I upload them to my
computer; then, I make several passes. First I pull out the out of focus
shots or those too badly exposed to recover. I pull out where the
subject got badly clipped, or is in an unnatural position, etc. That's
generally the easy part. Once I get to that point I have a lot of
trouble weeding out the others. I almost feel guilty deleting photos of
my little nieces & nephews, etc. Even in my best of the best (which
isn't all that good) gallery, there are some perfect examples of the
needless duplication that the author mentioned in the article.

It's hard know what to keep. Some are obvious. A particularly warm smile
or expression. A humorous pose. A landscape that appeals to you on more
than a superficial level. It's the others that are hard to let go of.
I'm not sure I trust my judgment yet on what I might like tomorrow.

Randy.

--
First Shots:
http://thepierianspring.org/gallery/