Old March 17th 18, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
ray carter

Default There are two truisms in the computer world:

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 14:56:22 +0000, David Taylor wrote:

On 17/03/2018 13:55, ray carter wrote:
[] Only in the MicroSlop arena. Debian Linux updates/upgrades do no go
awry
because they have been thoroughly tested and released only when they
are ready.

Not in my experience. Serial ports go missing, GPSd stops working, and
one Linux upgrade completely trashed an HD. As any raspberry Pi
upgrader. Version-to-version compatibility is much worse than on
Windows, often requiring the user to recompile the software. I've seen
this with GPSd and NTP. On Windows the same software can easily run on
XP/32 to Win-10/32 with no changes.

Perhaps Linux upgrades "rarely go awry", but not "do no(t) go awry".

I did not say linux upgrades rarely go awry - I said Debian linux
upgrades do not go awry and I stand by the statement.