Old March 17th 18, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Carlos E.R.

Default There are two truisms in the computer world:

On 2018-03-17 15:56, David Taylor wrote:
On 17/03/2018 13:55, ray carter wrote:
[] Only in the MicroSlop arena. Debian Linux updates/upgrades do no go
awry
because they have been thoroughly tested and released only when they are
ready.

Not in my experience.Â* Serial ports go missing, GPSd stops working, and
one Linux upgrade completely trashed an HD.Â* As any raspberry Pi
upgrader.Â* Version-to-version compatibility is much worse than on
Windows, often requiring the user to recompile the software.Â* I've seen
this with GPSd and NTP.Â* On Windows the same software can easily run on
XP/32 to Win-10/32 with no changes.

It took me 3 full days this week to upgrade my Windows partition. Gave
some error code number. Googling it said that perhaps the disk was full
(doesn't the process know if it is?), perhaps a conflict with the
antivirus (doesn't it know), perhaps a conflict with some other thing
(doesn't it know which?).

Advice varied, but most hits (at official Microsoft site) said to go for
a clean boot (which is not a single click), then to run some update
problems wizard. The wizard said that there was a corruption with the
update database that could not be repaired.

It even took hours to download the upgrades with a 300 Mb/s pipe!

After several runs of wizard and updates it worked.

Then it run several more updates and several reboots.

Nightmare.

In comparison, my Linux upgrades (same machine) run smooth, and when
they fail I get to know the exact reason.

Perhaps Linux upgrades "rarely go awry", but not "do no(t) go awry".

--
Cheers, Carlos.