Old February 11th 14, 02:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

Default summary of Kodak downfall

In article , philo
wrote:

Kodak had three major failures:

The Disk camera

(GRIN) I was managing a chain of camera stores when Disk came out. I'd
never been so puzzled by a product introduction; I couldn't see a
single advantage over existing formats until I looked at it from the
manufacturers side. The tiny 8X11mm frame used less silver, which was
very expensive at the time. And the film disk was easier to process
automatically.

From the consumer point of view, well, they just didn't take very good
pictures, being essentially the Minox subminiature format with consumer
emulsions. Even 3X5" prints had visible grain, and enlargements were
virtually impossible.

And, does anyone remember that the cameras had built-in,
non-rechargeable, non-replaceable batteries? Battery is expended, you
buy a new camera.

I disagree they were successful (only available 1982-1989), but also
disagree they contributed much to Kodak's downfall. There were far
worse failures to follow...