Old June 30th 09, 07:32 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.medium-format
Alan Browne

Default Q: cheapest develop-only rollfilm processing in southern Germany

On 30-06-09 12:12, Toni Nikkanen wrote:
Alan writes:

It's not very different than B&W, except that temperatures need to be
maintained very narrowly and there are several more steps than in B&W
processing.

I've yet to do E-6 myself but the temperature shouldn't be harder than
C41, it's actually very easy to keep the temperature between 37.5-38.5C
in a kitchen sink filled with water. Basically you start developing
when it's cooled down to 38.5C and it won't have gone below 37.5C
when the 3-4 minutes developing time has completed.

True, except if I understand it correctly you have to maintain that temp
for several of the initial chemicals, not just the first developer.
Overall a 30 minute or so process.

There are systems that you can buy to hold several tanks of chemicals
and keep them in a common water bath. There are even water mixers that
will mix a stream of hot and cold water to the required temperature in a
continuous flow assuring a constant and precise temperature.

I have no problem with the mechanics of execution and maintaining the
temperature, but I doubt that an economical amount of chemicals would
last long enough for me to use them all, consequently the cost would be
higher. I only shoot about 20 rolls of 120 per year. And I haven't
shot any this year, to date, so that statistic might change.