Old October 21st 04, 06:46 PM
MB_

Dave:

Thanks. Yes, I realize utilizing the card reader would basically be like
using a removable disk drive (in fact, I gather I could save files to the
card just like I do with my flash drive).

But, I was really referencing the Canon software. But, I suspect this might
be a moot point as it seems there is lots of software out there that I can
use. Right?

Mel, on his way out to get the NIMH batteries!

"Dave Martindale" wrote in message
"MB_" writes:

When I take a picture with my Canon and it gets stored on my CF card, in
what form is it in? Is it a JPEG file? Also, my GUESS is that the Canon
software would work because I assume that when the card reader with the
card
is plugged into the USB port, it would be identical to plugging the camera
in. Perhaps you or someone else could confirm that??

The file is actually in EXIF format, which is just JPEG with some
additional header info. Most image programs will display it just like a
JPEG, some will show the added info if asked.

The Canon software will probably work with a CF reader, though I never
use the Canon software with my Canon cameras.

However, plugging in a CF card reader is *not* the same as plugging the
camera directly into the computer. A CF card reader appears as a
removable disk drive under all reasonable versions of Windows (Win98 and
later), and you can use any normal tools for exploring it, copying
files, etc. Canon cameras *do not* emulate a disk drive, and when
connected directly you won't be able to explore the card contents, only
use special software (either the Canon software, or something like
Breeze Downloaader) to transfer the images.

The exception to this is that if you're running Windows XP, and you have
a recent Canon, and you put it in "PTP" mode rather than normal mode,
you'll get some image browsing capability.

Dave