Old September 16th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Thor Lancelot Simon

Default Curious on a LF lens quality

In article ,
LGLA wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
On Sep 7, 9:59 pm, "LGLA" wrote:
"Peter" wrote in message

On Sep 6, 10:19 am, "LGLA" wrote:

Thanks this Xenar was manufactured between 1968 and 1970, probably 1969,
seeing the serial and their chart. This lens I have just attained is

in excellent
condition glass-wise. NOW it feels better to me, from your statement.

... Testing is still a worthwhile investment.

Yes, the seller says this particular lens has a tested image circle of
195mil, and he has
used it on an 8x10 Deardorff. And that it was his favorite on the 4x5,

195mm is not sufficient to cover 8x10. And a short Tessar-formula lens
is just not a great normal lens for 4x5. That's the bottom line as I
see it.

Once you get to 200 or 210mm Tessar formula lenses will cover 4x5 with
room for reasonable movements. A Commercial Ektar or Nikkor-M is probably
a better choice than a Xenar -- for a long time, Xenars were cheap press
lenses, and they've never been Schneider's top of the line.

--
Thor Lancelot Simon
"Even experienced UNIX users occasionally enter rm *.* at the UNIX