Old August 8th 07, 03:27 PM posted to alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr,rec.photo.technique.nature
Matt Clara

Default Circular Polarizers, A Filter You Need

On Aug 8, 5:33 am, "Wayne J. Cosshall" wrote:
Hi All,

I've written the first of a series of articles on the use of real camera
filters with digital photography. The first is on the circular polarizer
filter:

Cheers,

Wayne

I have one, rarely use it. Additionally, a 77mm multi-coated circular
polarizer to fit a great majority of my lenses, including my Mamiya
gear, costs a minimum of $150. It's not worth the money. And about
your examples, in the first series of thumbnail images, the one w/out
polarizer is clearly over exposed, the ones in which you indicate
reduced reflection from water and foliage are different, but not
necessarily better, and the darkened sky images look unnatural (and
again, you tend to overexpose, particularly in the ones with the dam
in the background). This is not to say the circular polarizer is not
without its uses, but to say it's a filter one "needs" is a stretch,
and a big one at that.

Finally, aren't you in essence spamming the photography groups in an
attempt to make money off our visits to your website, which are
replete with advertising? If you want to share info here, please do,
but your capitalist endeavors aren't welcome.

--
www.mattclara.com (not a single image there taken with a polarizer)