Old April 25th 07, 09:18 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.large-format
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default ebay as art: A Metal Crown Graphic

"darkroommike" wrote
Richard Knoppow wrote:
"Nicholas O. Lindan" wrote in message
Is it outsider art? Is it just a bad dream? Estimated to go
for -whaaat-?
http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/20-...06003320QQrdZ1

I actually saw the all metal crown graphic on another website when
Google-ing around for parts for my Graphic View, it was actually used by
some photographer at some time and isn't "just" a piece of found art.

It's a piece of 'found art' now: the seller is an art & antiques
gallery.

As art it is worth far more than it ever was as "just" a camera.
As a working camera it's a disaster. I'm sure someone loved it --
one can find someone to love anything; The gallery is
sure hoping so.

The original questions was "outsider art" - not "found art":
was it made to be art?

One needs to discriminate found art, found object art,
art to be found, outsider art and bad art.

found art: the seminal Duchamp's urinal (ooooh, _very_ bad pun)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/entertainment/4059997.stm
Photography is a form of found art where the artist
takes a mechanical visual reproduction of the found
object and not the object itself.

found object art: arraigned collections, weldments, collage..
http://arts.ucsc.edu/sesnon/exhibiti...odwetrust.html

art to be found: only since the 60's, might have been the drugs
http://www.found-art.com/index.php

outsider art: the more decrepit the artist the more valuable the work;
often judged by psychiatrists rather than art critics. Many
variations
http://www.artbrut.com/

bad art: what more can one say...
http://www.museumofbadart.org/