Old February 24th 04, 10:33 PM
Gregory W Blank

Default Develper for Delta-100

In article ,
Mike Wilde wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 18:57:22 GMT, Gregory W Blank

Mike Wilde wrote:

Most temperatures for b&W hang around 68 degrees, but, as the real
world knows, frequently the developer isn't that temp.

Why & why not?

In my darkroom in the winter the basement goes down to 62 overnight,
before the furnace kicks back up in the morning. I also do not have a
hot air duct directly from the furnace to try to keep dust
infiltration down. It takes until noon for the stock solutions to get
up to 68, if I do not have the exhaust fan running to pull warmer air
in from the rest of the house. .

Most people regulate the temp by using something like an
aquarium heater, in a tub of water. That is even if the desired
temp is 68F.

I personally have a tempered water regulator mounted
permanently on my darkroom tap, although you can get
a faucet mounting thermometer that allows the water to pass through it
this being removable each time after use.

When you mix the stock solution, with the desired amount of water
for working dilution use tempered water, that way there is no
waiting. Because I have a Jobo I turn every thing on and it takes
3/4 hour to come up to temp in winter, usually in summer its at
temp or I run cool water to get it below temp,...so it then comes up.

You can also do this using a tub and aquarium heater. As for agitation
get a book or something to do while tending the tank, a small rotary base
can probably be found at a reasonable price. A small radio or CD player
makes the time more enjoyable.
--
LF website http://members.bellatlantic.net/~gblank