Old September 18th 06, 03:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
acl

Default Sensor noise: Nikon D200 versus Canon S70

I've completed two new digital camera analyses:

The Nikon D200 Digital Camera:
Sensor Noise, Dynamic Range, and Full Well Analysis
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...ion-nikon-d200

Compare those results to a small pixel P&S camera:

The Canon S70 Digital Camera:
Sensor Noise, Dynamic Range, and Full Well Analysis
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...tion-canon-s70

I've included comparisons of the above results in
some new figures (3b, 6 and 7) and discussion on this page:

Digital Cameras: Does Pixel Size Matter?
Factors in Choosing a Digital Camera
http://www.clarkvision.com/imagedeta...el.size.matter

Roger

Roger,
How do all the Canon cameras manage such low read noises? I did ask once
before, and you said you also found it strange that they managed to
reduce read noise to such low levels for their CMOS sensors. Well, it's
equally low for this compact, which has a CCD. Any idea how this can
happen (except by some very effective image processing before doing
anything else to the raw data)?

Cheers.