Old January 8th 07, 11:40 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm,rec.photo.digital
William Graham

Default End of an Era

"Ron Hunter" wrote in message
William Graham wrote:
"Alan Browne" wrote in message
William Graham wrote:

Makes a libertarian like me want to set up one of your stills and work
it 24/7 even if I just flushed its output down the toilet.....(which I
would probably have to do, since I can't drink the stuff.....It
interferes with a couple of my diabetes medications.)
I believe I've sent you this link before Bill:
http://running_on_alcohol.tripod.com/

The drawings and build instructions were about $30.

You will need and ATF licence but that doesn't cost much and in the US
they assume that if you get a licence for a stated purpose (fuel) that
that's what it's for. Here in Canada you are assumed to be evilly
making moonshine.

Cheers,
Alan

Thanks for the link.....I use ethanol to clean my trumpets with. (I can
use propanol, but the smell of it makes me sick) Down in California, I
couldn't buy ethanol in a drug store, so I bought some from a supplier in
the bay area....It was $40 a gallon, and 1/2 of that was the federal
taxes......I had to buy 4 gallons minimum, so I found 3 guys who wanted
to go in with me, and we each bought a gallon.....Of course, a gallon of
ethanol is enough to clean a trumpet for life, so I still have over 1/2
gallon left over, and that was about 20 years ago. Now, I notice that I
can buy a pint of 70% ethanol from our local Rite Aid Drug store here in
Salem, Oregon.......

Bet it doesn't cost anything like that $40 a gallon, either. But I wonder
what the other 30% is....

I don't know, but it has, "Do not take internally" written all over
it.....The gallon tin that I bought in California thirty years or so ago,
was as pure as you can get, and could be drunk if you were into that sort of
thing......It's what the submarine sailors used to call "everclear"....They
used it for torpedo fuel......Not too bad if you cut it 50-50 with orange
juice.........