Old March 23rd 13, 05:08 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

Default So how good is 36 megapixels?

On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 00:26:25 +0100, Wolfgang Weisselberg
wrote:
: Alan Browne wrote:
: On 2013.03.20 22:16 , Doug McDonald wrote:
: On 3/20/2013 6:34 PM, Alan Browne wrote:
: The pictures show CONCLUSIVELY that the lens is fully adequate to
: resolve adjacent pixels, and that the AA filer is NOT seriously
: smearing
: out the image enough to stop moire.
:
: If the AA smeared it enough to remove the moiré that you captured in
: your contrivation, then you would be just as happy with the detail of a
: 6 Mpix camera. Probably not even then.
:
: I never said that I wanted no moire in this absolutely
: utterly
: worst case moire test. What makes you think I did? I LIKE the camera
: the way it is. I just pointed out that if one tried to get it
: to generate moire, it will do so.
:
: Your "absurd" declaration did not, in any way, disprove what I said
: about lens MTF softening as desired sampling (sensor density) goes up.
:
: I thought the point was not that Doug diusputed that.
:
: I thought the point was that Doug said that with his camera
: and lens the point of lens MTF softening was not reached.
:
: Further, what I said above wrt to AA filters was not meant to be what
: you desire, just to illustrate the sort of heavy AA filter that would be
: required to tame the moiré in your high school lab experiment.
:
: (Another way of showing the irrelevancy of your examples if I have to
: make that plain to you.)
:
: The tactic of misunderstanding the point and ignoring
: experiments and facts that collide with one's world view is
: well used by fundamentalists and radicals everywhere.
:
: Doug made it clear that under normal circumstances such moire
: didn't happen.
:
: Of course a lens with a crappy MTF will reduce moire. But my
: trusty 24-105 f/4L zoom, not exactly the best L glass ever,
: still generates some moire.
:
: In summary, you retract what you said about my statement of lens mtf
: acting as a softening filter where ever increasing sensor densities are
: occurring.
:
: Thought so. Next time just keep your hands off the keyboard and save
: everyone some bandwidth.
:
: Next time you take down your own strawmen, try not to gloat
: so much.

Does anyone else appreciate the hilarity of this situation? Wolfgang
Weisselberg, of all people, trying to mediate a catfight of the sort he often
seems to relish as a participant! ;^)

Bob