Old November 13th 17, 11:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

Default Ripe Apples

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 03:34:55 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Friday, 10 November 2017 22:30:19 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 02:57:48 -0800 (PST), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 20:50:51 UTC, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 07:49:00 -0500, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

It might be
an ugly SoB but that was largely because it was designed to hold a
wide variety of hardware which could be installed or replaced without
the use of any tools whatsoever.

it need not be ugly to do that.

It was Whisky-dave who said it was ugly.

he's right.

It didn't matter. It was out of sight under my desk.

So still takes up extra space, obviously under the desk is the designated place to put a desktop.
Why would you want to put a desktop PC under a desk ?
Was it really that ugly that yuo had to hid it under the desk ?

... because it left me more room on the desk top.

I didn't need to do that, doesn't you're monitor take up space too.
You see one of the advantages of an all in one design is that yuo don;t need that box yuo call a destop, we even went for that design in our PC lab when we brought about 30 dell 9030.

First of all I can't buy an all in one with the same spec as what I
have got. Second you can't replace the screen with another of
different spec while retaining your existing hardware.

Why would we bother with those when we can buy sperate boxes where one can go on the floor on on the desk top.
You see desk tops were getting in the way they couldn't fit on the desk top !
so like you need space on the floor where they got kicked and of course one thing that you;ve ignored is that being at that level they suck in much more dust than they woukld on the desk.

I'm not working in a zoo and I have never had problems with dust.

When we had PC desktops under the desk they got filled with lots of dust and grime and got kicked by the students some got kicked over, but that's students for you. Our new desktop PC have been designed like iMacs so the screen and computer both sit on the desktop.

I don't have that problem of abuse or lack of maintenance.

well done but we do, so rather than just buy the PC with the largest market share we buy what is most useful and not just what sells the most.
I;'m pretty sure yuor graphics card you brought doens;t have the largest market share either so why didn't you but the graphics card that has the largest market share you claim that indicates the best .

I told you above. Besides, I don't buy computers for their ornamental
qualities.

But many people prefer nice looking things, and given the chance will prefer them. How much extra they are willing to pay is up to them.
Only an idea of someone not bothered buys something because it has the greatest market share.

Is that how you decide on which camera is best the one with the biggest market share.
The BEST camera on the market DO NOT have the largest market share.

I just attach a drive to a USB port takes a few seconds, even though we have about 40 PCs in the lab we haven't had to change a drive in years.

Would you want to hang a drive on the kind of USB port circa 2000?

No, but why would I want a PC from circa 2000 ?
Because they had a bigger market share back then.

well I pretty sure I can do more on my iphone than I could do with a PC from circa 2000.

But we did for years run a course unit on hpw PCs work and how to change cards, discs and teh like from PC desktops, but that course has now been cancelled as we know the vast majority of uses don;t ever need to change the ethernet card or hard drive any more than the average car driver has to change their engine or headlights or 'gas' tank.

Don't tell that to nospam.

He knows and so do Apple and that is why we have little or no interest in messing about under the bonnet they want a relible working computer rather than one where they have to keep changing internal components like it was circa 2000, those days are long gone.

It was the same with cars I remmeber on sundays in the 1970s lots of people
working on their cars fixing oil leaks patching up exhaust systems driving around in rust buckets and people in the USA were even worse they couldn't even be bothered with a manual gear change so spend more on an automatic car.

Eric Stevens