Old May 16th 11, 05:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Wolfgang Weisselberg

Default Real portability? Nikon and Pentax are working on it

Bruce wrote:
David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

Many high-end P&SC and superzooms offer a manual focus mode.
Pre-focusing using this mode is an excellent way to improve your hit
rate with children and pets.

Why not using a manually focussed camera instead --- that way
you get a real, reactive, well-tuned focussing ring as well.

In other news: you can post by pressing the necessary buttons
with your nose, if your hands are unable to move. (I still prefer
using fingers and a good AF)

I haven't noticed any professional wildlife shooters working with
superzooms, either. I suppose they COULD all be deluded; but my

Professional wildlife shooters make up such a tiny proportion of DSLR
users that they are almost irrelevant.

How many professional wildlife shooters are superzoom users?
How many use DSLRs? :-)

And as I have said before, our biggest single source of complaints at
the minilabs is from DSLR and mirrorless CSC users who have produced
out of focus images,

What, CDAF being OOF? How comes? After all, superzooms and
P&S use CDAF too ...

then try to blame our minilab operators. We only
very rarely get that complaint from P&S and superzoom users.

Since they have everything in focus all the time anyway. :-)

There's a moral in that, and it is not that everyone needs a DSLR. ;-)

Show me the P&S that focusses accurately and fast at LV 3 and
produces mostly clean, printable images (20x30cm or larger)
at effective ISO 6400-12800, can work with multiple off-camera
flashes (which are to be remote controlled in power, if possible
with a flash automatic too), produces a shallow DOF if asked
(like, say, a 50mm f/2 or faster on a crop-DSLR), shoots RAW,
and has a f/2.8 or faster lens (if not, you need to up the ISO
above by the necessary amount). :-)

-Wolfgang