Old November 19th 04, 12:19 AM
Alan Browne

Matt wrote:

I heard someone say that 8Mp digital cameras were the equivalent to 35mm
film quality?

Does this mean they have the theoretical equivalent resolution? Are they
the equivalent to 35mm?

As digital has no 'grain' per se, they do produce very clean images up to about
15 x 10 (inches).

Film resolves higher than an 8 mpix sensor. However it is noisier than a
digital image. Decent prints up to about 24 x 16 are quite possible. I
recently finished some scans from Kodachrome 25 for a friend. Considering the
slow film and the shots are handheld, the detail is very good.

The scans are 7256 x 4880 ( 35 MPix) (so a print at 300 dpi will work out to
about 24x36) which is how he's ordering the prints for 3 of them. I'm sure an 8
Mpix would not do nearly as well... and if my friend had used a tripod, well...

Cheers,
Alan.

-- [SI gallery]: http://www.pbase.com/shootin
-- [SI rulz]: http://www.aliasimages.com/si/rulz.html