Old February 22nd 12, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

Default Will a new computer help?

On 2012-02-20 21:34:14 +0000, Alan Browne said:

[...]
If you get a Mac, order it with minimal memory and update that
yourself with mail order modules (various good sources). Much cheaper
(no effect on warranty).

I wish I hadn't done that :-(

Some Macs have only two memory slots (both of which must be filled). It
would've been much cheaper to order my machine with more memory rather
than replace it later.

I can't disagree more - at least at this point in time. Apple memory
options are expensive at sale time.

The current i7 iMac for example offers a doubling of memory from 4 to 8
GB for $210.

Replacing the 2x2 with 2x4 is less than $50 in the memory market.
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other.../1333DDR3S08S/

Replacing the 2x2 with 2x8 (16 GB) is $117 at the first vendor I
stumbled on. That option from Apple is an additional $630.

--
"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty."
Douglas Adams - (Could have been a GPS engineer).