Old August 5th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Chris H

Default Nikon Coolpix S1000 PJ

In message 2009080507462450073-christophercampbellremovethis@hotmailcom
, C J Campbell writes
On 2009-08-05 04:41:44 -0700, ASAAR said:

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:43:43 -0700, C J Campbell, who may be the
first kiddie on his block to buy a Coolpix S1000pj, wrote:

Interesting idea. A camera with a built-in projector. The camera
projects a VGA screen 40 inches across two feet away. I wonder if it
does PowerPoint? There is a company called Microvision in Bellevue,
Washington that has been working on a projector for cell phones. I
wonder if they had anything to do with this? Or, if not, if the Nikon
projector violates any of their patents?
This is an idea whose time has come, I think. And it is nice to see
Coolpix that is not just another "me too" camera.

An idea whose time has come? I don't think so, and neither does
Thom Hogan :

I think Thom underestimates how much people like to chimp. This is a
consumer camera, not a pro camera, and it does not pretend to anything
else. I will not get a Coolpix camera for the same reason that Thom
Hogan or you or many other photographers will not get one.

I agree completely

They are lousy cameras.

No.. They are designed to do a job and do it very well *for the price
and size*

Some of us want real tools.

No you have a different requirement that is all. The cool pix avery good
for what they are designed for. A DSLR fails miserably as something you
can put in your pocket or purse. The P&S market is not the same as the
DSLR market.

But you know what? We represent a tiny minority of photographers. Most
people don't want the same things out of a camera that we do.

I would not go that far as several companies make a lot of money selling
DSLRs. I wonder what the ratio of DLSR to P&S is.

Also given that mobile phones have 8Mp cameras with auto focus, zoom,
flash, video (like the D300s :-) I wonder how much longer the P&S
market has. It will disappear to the phone market in 5 years I think.

I was at an 18th party a week ago and not one person had a P&S they were
all using their phones.

I bet the projector idea is a hit.

I would agree with you.

Of course, many people have become wealthy by betting against me.

Many?