Old February 3rd 04, 04:41 AM
Dan Quinn

Default Seeking a Master Printing Workshop

(Ken Smith) wrote

I'm interested in finding a master printing workshop, or private
instruction. I would like to find a true master printer that is not
1.) alternative process oriented 2.) masking oriented 3.) toner
oriented 4.) or any other whistle and gong. My idea of a great printer
in the silver process is one who can make prints from my negatives
that I never thought possible, without resorting to anything fancy,
even including bleach.

I've a notion that you have not given enough attention to
photogenics. I've just finished reading David Vestal's The Non-
Cosmetic Print. "... the picture needs to be good enough in the
first place to work and survive without the ...". I'll let you
fill in the "ornament" and/or "tricks".
Not all the views I photograph would I class as photogenic. I do
keep that in mind. The medium is silver-gelatine and the subject
is to fit the medium. The more photogenic the less squeesing.
Of course there is always the challenge. I've a few of those
challenging negatives. Dan