Old September 13th 06, 04:36 PM posted to aus.photo,alt.photography,rec.photo.digital,rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.digital.zlr
Paul Allen

Default New Sony GPS Camera Accessory

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:43:55 GMT
kosh wrote:

Padu wrote:
[...]
well someone thought it was good enough to make a product!!!! Perhaps
there is something to it, though I can't imagine a LARGE numbr of
people having a requirement like this..

real estate
military
surveyors
reporters who have a large number of images and travel lots
????

Anybody who travels and has trouble reconstructing the location of
each shot later. I just came home from the Queen Charlotte Islands
with 600 images that were mostly taken at remote Haida village sites
that haven't been occupied since the smallpox epidemics of the 1800's.
I took notes on what villages we stopped at each day, but tagging all
those images with locations later was laborious.

A technological fix for that problem is tempting, although having
more gear to lug around while clambering in and out of the Zodiac,
wading ashore onto a rocky beach, and traipsing through the mossy
woods is not. :-)

hmmmm heres an idea.... if you could photograph say... a city from
multiple anges with full GPS data including elevation..... I would
think some clever software could give you amazing 3d photogrpahic
renderings.

It would need to deal with the inherent uncertainty in the position
data. It's possible to get centimeter accuracy with really expensive
gear, but the normal handheld GPS has an uncertainty in the tens of
meters that changes constantly as the satellite constellation changes.

come to think of it, one of my customers used their camera to record
every inch of Melb. GP to make photo realistic game textures..... GPS
data would probably be pretty usefull there too!

just think aloud.... well in text!

Yeah. Let your fingers do the thinking.

Paul Allen