Old January 14th 18, 04:17 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

Default Why do people confuse "mount type" with flange distance?

On Jan 13, 2018, RichA wrote
(in ):

"Nikon can't use the F mount for a mirrorless! It's too deep!" WTF has the
chrome-plated RING on the camera body where the lens bayonets in got to do
with the FLANGE distance? If Nikon is designing a "Z" mount, there are other
reasons for it. The bayonet they have now could easily be used. Still, if
they build a "Z" mount (it's rumor now) I'm sure they'll have adapters for F
lenses since legacy lenses are all that is keeping Nikon afloat.

DSLR lenses regardless of manufacturer will always have to take the mirror
chamber into account, so Nikkor F lenses will not have a flange distance
optimized for a mirrorless with an F mount. If Nikon intends to make their
proposed MILC, F lens compatible they will be discarding one of the
advantages of MILCs, the ability to design a more compact MILC without the
space taken up by a mirror chamber.

If this Nikon MILC is going to be successful, it should be provided with a
dedicated mirrorless “M”, or “Z” mount and lenses designed, and
optimized for that mount. Then as you suggested, they should have an
“F-M” adaptor to accomodate the legacy Nikkor glass. The adaptor would
accomodate the flange distance differential, in much the same they do for the
other MILC adaptors such as the F-X adaptor I use.

Savageduck