Old February 2nd 06, 12:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default canon s20 ac adapter

On 2 Feb 2006 03:17:05 -0800, wrote:

As I no longer have the original charger, and the replacement charger
has no AC socket, can anyone tell me what I need to run this camera
from a UK mains socket. I have the lead from the camera but no 6.5v
1.5a source.

The Canon S20 has no power connector that I'm aware of. In my
case, the camera only came with a disposable lithium battery, and I
had to buy Canon's charger kit separately (DK-100). In addition to
the charger (CA-PS-100/100E) it included a DC Coupler (DR-100A)
which had a small, odd, proprietary DC terminal on the end of its
cord that plugged into the charger. The other end of the cord had a
blob similar in size and shape to the NB-5H battery packs normally
used with the S20. I assume that this is the "lead" that you have.

If your lead from the camera has the battery-like thing on the end
(the DR-100A coupler) but the replacement charger has no small
socket for the other end of the cable (DC, not AC), I suppose you
could cut the DC terminal off and mate the end of the cable to a
small transformer or "wall wart" capable of supplying between 1.0
and 1.5 amps. at a voltage anywhere from 5.5 to 6.5 volts, since it
would replace the NB-5H battery pack that operates over a range of
from 6 volts down to probably about 5.3 volts. You could probably
get by with a transformer supplying even less than 1 amp if you
don't intend to use the camera's flash at the same time.