Old October 18th 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom
Nicholas O. Lindan

Default Time scale

"Ken Hart1" wrote

I've never seen an instance of damage due to condensation, but then I've
never tempted fate by taking film from the freezer straight to the camera.

I've never seen an instance either, and I have been making a
point of tempting fate by taking film directly from the freezer
to the camera or film holder. I even breathe on the film and the
inside of the camera while loading in hopes something will happen
- but no joy.

I have not opened a stack of paper straight from the freezer so I
can't comment there. And the freezer I use is the freezer on the top
of the 'fridge that sits at 0F, not a -40F/C deep-freeze.

IMO, the 'wait two hours' before loading film from the freezer is in
the same vein as 'wait two hours after lunch before swimming.' There
may be cases where it is valid, but it is 99% old wive's tail. Kodak's
numbers seem to be 2x the time it takes for a roll of film to come
to temperature equilibrium - a nice number, but so what?

I think folks get mildly hysterical about it because it is something
that is safe to fuss over - nothing bad ever happens - and some people
just like to fuss. A bit of Polonius in all of us.

I think I'll put a fresh box of paper in the freezer, though ...

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm