Old September 19th 04, 03:59 PM
Ric Kaysen

....just plugged the USB cable from the S50 into another computer running XP
Pro and there's the Canon drive in Windows Explorer.

--
Remove NOSPAM to reply
"Jim Townsend" wrote in message
Olav Kindt wrote:

All,

I was wondering if it is possible to get my Canon Powershot camera to

show
up as a hard drive when I plug it into my Win2000 box - instead of
automatically starting the ZoomBrowser application.

You can't.

Canon cameras don't support USB Mass storage so they can't be treated as a
drive.

The computer and camera exchange data via a set of commands much
the same way FTP uses get and put etc. This commands are issued
by Zoombrowser.. You don't see it happen.

Canon has it's own proprietary protocol, and most new Canon cameras
also recognize the universal Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP). PTP
is built in to some Windows versions.

The reason for doing this is that I am trying to recover some images

from
my Compact Flash card since the disk drive I downloaded the images to is
toast, and no other backups are available. If anyone knows of other ways

recover lost data from CF and/or SD - please let me know.

As someone else mentioned.. Pick up a $10.00 card reader. You'll be
able to treat the card as a drive AND, you'll find the files download
MUCH faster..