Old July 24th 07, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Annika1980

Default Low light group event portrait

On Jul 24, 1:42 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
I've been asked to photograph a company retirement party (paid) which
will be about 20 people in a restaurant under candlelight at a few
tables. I've agreed to do it but warned them that's really extraordinary
shooting conditions. I have a 50mm f/1.2 but that's too long for most
cases on crop frame D200, otherwise I have f/2 lenses at 28mm & 35mm and
a 20mm f/2.8 AF though that starts getting so wide it distorts the
people at the edges. Even a 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye :-)

Sounds like you need the excellent high-ISO capabilities of a Canon.
That old Nikon just ain't gonna get her done.