Old July 24th 07, 09:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems,rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Bates[_2_]

Default Low light group event portrait

On Jul 24, 1:42 pm, Paul Furman wrote:
I've been asked to photograph a company retirement party (paid) which
will be about 20 people in a restaurant under candlelight at a few
tables. I've agreed to do it but warned them that's really extraordinary
shooting conditions. I have a 50mm f/1.2 but that's too long for most
cases on crop frame D200, otherwise I have f/2 lenses at 28mm & 35mm and
a 20mm f/2.8 AF though that starts getting so wide it distorts the
people at the edges. Even a 10.5mm f/2.8 fisheye :-)

I suggested maybe turn on the lights for a few more formal group shots,
they don't seem to be planning to do any big prints, just wanting the
digital files for web or probably a small print in a corporate
newsletter or some such.

I don't have or know how to use external flash though I could try
reflecting the onboard flash with a white card at the ceiling.

I figure I'll do a custom WB setting and I'll bring a tripod though I
doubt that'll be useful for most of the candids. Maybe the 70-200/2.8 VR
could be tried for the VR at 70mm & further back for more candid stuff,
less of the photog in your face.

I probably should bring my laptop to check how it's working after the
first bit.

Any other suggestions? Should I back out & tell them to hire someone
else with flash because this is a hopeless assignment? I enjoy low light
shooting but this will be really rough.

Here's some examples with the 50mm f/1.2:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=2_human-world/4-People&PG=1&...
Click for enlargement.
The previous shot is soft due to the 1/3 second shutter speed:
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=2_human-world/4-People&PG=1&...
This one shows the depth of field better (click for enlargement)
http://www.edgehill.net/1/Misc/photography/bokeh/2007-04-03-50mm1.2/_...
though that'll be less extreme in a wider group view.

--
Paul Furman Photographyhttp://www.edgehill.net/1
Bay Natives Nurseryhttp://www.baynatives.com

Paul,

I'm not even close to a professional but I have shot a few weddings in
very low light - some of them in cases where flashes were not
allowed. I would have suggested the 1.2 50mm but the crop factor may
be a bit of a problem - I was shooting film at the time with my
Minolta and an F1.4 50mm that saved me. I'd suggest maybe trying a
monopod rather than a tripod since it will be easier to move around as
long as you think you can keep the shutter speed in the 1/15 or 1/30
range.

Of course a flash is going to be a big help here as well as you
mentioned.

The only other thing is that you may want to shoot RAW as you can
adjust the WB after the fact that way and not have to worry about it
too much during shooting. Otherwise you may find yourself switching
back and forth between a tungsten type setting and a flash setting
depending on how you are shooting.

My best advice (and what I did for the wedding I spoke of) - see if
you can get in the place and take a few test shots (bring a friend as
a model) and see what works best.

I would not back out - you warned them. Have fun with it. Worse case
scenario just fire away with the flash - get some candid shots and it
should work out well.

Bates.....