Old January 6th 06, 06:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Protect your pictures!

"Eric Schreiber" eric at ericschreiber dot com writes:
However, a commercial outfit is hot-linking another image from my site,
and using it as a product photo for something they sell (a particular
species of fish). That one irritates me. A lot.

First thing to try is sending them an email asking them to cut it out.

I'm considering sending them a bill for unauthorized use of
copyrighted image, as well as for the bandwidth.

That would be bogus and probably accomplish nothing.

Obviously, I don't have any real expectation of getting paid, but it
would at least express my annoyance. Alternately, I could just
change the source image to something less, um, saleable.

That's a much better plan. You could set the server to check the
referer header to ONLY serve the unsaleable image to transclusions
from that commercial site.

I wouldn't even need to pornographic... A few years ago I dropped a
heavy battery on my foot and had my big toenail ripped out at the root,

Heh heh, I like that.