Old May 28th 10, 06:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Peter[_7_]

Default Archival CDs and DVDs

"John A." wrote in message
On Fri, 28 May 2010 09:50:54 -0400, "Peter"
wrote:

"John A." wrote in message
. ..
On 26 May 2010 02:04:46 GMT, "Michael D. Berger"
wrote:

On Tue, 25 May 2010 20:59:50 -0400, Peter wrote:

"Michael D. Berger" wrote in message
Any advice on which archival CDs and DVDs are good; that is, really
archival?

Thanks,
Mike.

None. All have limited life and must be re-archived after a period of
years, which varies with the quality of the media and storage
conditions.

Ah yes, we are, after all, finite beings -- but I would
guess that some are substantially better than others. It
is the names of those better ones I seek.

Cranberry claims their DiamonDisc system makes DVDs that will last
1000 years. Instead of storing the data on a dye layer, they use
synthetic stone and etch deeper pits with a higher powered laser.
Write-once, I would imagine. I haven't tried them.

I've also read of one long-term data storage currently in the
theoretical stage. They described a system of carbon nanotubes each
holding an iron particle which would have a theoretical life of a
billion years. I'm sure it would be great for thumb drives, and since
it's the position of the iron in the tube that stores the data it
would probably be easier to securely erase than magnetic systems. But
a 1000-year system would probably be sufficient for most people.

Even twenty years from now the equipment to read the DVD might not be
readily available. Think 8 track.

DVD readers are dirt cheap. If your data is important enough to
preserve, get spares.

And the DVD readers link to ?

Wanna buy some 8" floppy drives ;-)

--