Old January 31st 05, 10:30 PM

Steph,

Yes, I considered DVD and have a DVD writer which I use to archive and
store offsite. One thing I failed to mention is that I use Photoshop
Album for organization and a DLink DSM320 media server for quick
viewing of pics and playing of MP3s. I realized after getting my first
digital camera that to enjoy all of the pictures I had to print them or
view via a computer. The media server allows me to create quick slide
shows for the family/friends and display them with music on my TV.
After all is said, the files would have to be readily available.

Nevertheless, I definitely archive to external media (DVD). The tape
solution is simply my IT administrative side coming through. The tape
solution is a DLT robot which is automated with daily backups, 3 months
retention, lossless compression, and allows quick recovery. The DVD
backup would require repetative manual execution to achieve the same
level of retention period.

Jason

Steph wrote:
My solution would be to use a DVD writer - you'd have enough room on

2
DVD-Rs for 130 TIFF files at a cost of less than =A31, or roughly $1.

Backing=20
up to tape is much slower and more costly.