Old September 11th 15, 04:02 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

Default A question for Applefans

On 09/09/2015 02:58, Tony Cooper wrote:
My iPhone and iPad are charged using a plug and cable combination.
Each uses a different cable with a different-size fitting that plugs
into the device. Both style cables use the same wall-plug device.

What is the reason for the two different fittings? Both are obtaining
and converting power from the same wall plug.

It seems to me that Apple is just doing the printer ink scam and
adding an extra product to sell when replacements are needed.

21st century problems...
Connector problems that annoy the crap out of me date back to the 19th
and 20th century - and should have been replaced long ago:

The 19th century 1/4" phono plug, and subsequent 3.5 and 2.5mm miniature
versions. Quick and easy on a telephone switchboard back in the 1800s,
an abomination ever since, especially on mobile devices.

The 20th century 12v auto "cigarette lighter/accessory socket". Surely
car-makers could have agreed on some alternative standard 1/2 century ago.

The 20th century "coaxial/barrel" DC power connector, usually on
wall-wart power supply/charger. Not only comes in a zillion different
sizes of external barrel diameter and internal hole size, but to top it
off, adapters with the same voltage and identical plug size can come
with reversed polarity.