Old September 1st 04, 07:40 AM

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 18:25:58 -0500, Ron Hunter

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:02:08 -0500, Ron Hunter
wrote:

Mxsmanic wrote:

Ron Hunter writes:

And a keyboard is the only thing you have on a USB interface?

I have two devices on USB, because that's all they support. One of them
requires that it not share the interface with anything else, which
pretty much blows one of the major advantages touted for USB.

That's out of three computers, too. I have three devices on serial
ports. I have four devices connected via SCSI. I have two devices
connected via PS/2 interfaces.

The keyboard is not among the devices connected via USB, because I like
to keep things simple, and I prefer a keyboard that works no matter what
state the system is in.

It would take dozens of serial ports to equal the data
handling capacity of one USB 2.0 port.

I don't need the data-handling capacity of a USB 2.0 port for the
devices I have connected via serial ports.

No, but in order to transfer megabytes to a GPS, a faster port than
serial (RS232) is highly desirable. Since I no longer get paid to deal
with RS232 ports, and a GPS is a recreational device, I don't intend to
mess with the confusion, and grief of dealing with a serial configuration.

Your call.

Don't bother to take up surfing, either.

If you mean standing up on a stick in heavy waves, I can think of less
painful ways of offing myself.

But gee -- it just might be appropriate technology for those
of us who don't walk on water.