Old October 19th 03, 09:02 PM
John Garrison

Default Help a newbie out please

"Armand" wrote in message
I am a newbie whenit comes to digital photography, and have decided to
make the leap into digital. After looking at specs and reviews for
ages, I have narrowed down my selections to the Canon S400 and the
Canon S50. Each one has thier pluses and minuses, but I cant seem to
decide which is better suited for me. I will be a casual photographer,
and as I learn I hope to become more creative with my shots... so
basically I am just looking at this as a hobby. In the reviews I have
read, some have said the ease of use of the S400 makes it an ideal buy
for a first time digital user, while others have stated that they like
that the S50 gives them more freedom to be creative with its manual
settings. So here is my question: This will probably be the only
camera I buy for a few years, and therefore I want the most bang for
my buck... So which is the better purchase? Does anyone out there have
any thoughts on ease of use/enjoyment/ functionality when these two
models are compared? Any and all advise would be greatly appreciated!

I think the answer is in your statement that you will use your choice for
several years. As you use it you will explore its features and learn to use
them effectively. Since the S50 has all these features, you should get it.
For if you buy less camera, you may find yourself at replacement point
sooner than you wanted. Now you may well get bitten by the photogrpahy bug,
and a serious infection will cause you to go out and buy anything and
everything anyway, but that's a bridge to cross when you come to it.